Froch vacates IBF title

Uncertainty continues to reign over the future of Nottingham’s Froch. He had been due to face mandatory challenger DeGale after an elbow injury forced him to pull out of a planned Las Vegas clash with Julio Chavez Jr.

Instead, Froch has decided to relinquish his belt and the IBF have indicated that DeGale must take on American Andre Dirrell in his bid to become a world champion, with an all-British super-fight between DeGale and Froch a possibility for later in the year.

???It???s been a frustrating couple of weeks with terms agreed for the Chavez fight only for me to be unable to proceed in camp due to injury,??? said Froch, who also holds the WBA belt. ???I know what it???s like to wait for a shot and I didn???t want to hold James up in fighting for a world title.

???James is a great young fighter and I hope he can go out and win that title and who knows, we may even meet later in the year.???

Talks are believed to be continuing with Chavez Jr about rescheduling a fight against Froch, while veteran Bernard Hopkins has emerged as another possible opponent for the 37-year-old.

DeGale earned his title shot with an explosive stoppage win over Brandon Gonzales last May and breezed through November’s potentially risky clash with Marco Antonio Periban, stopping the Mexican.

He is hoping to become the first Olympic gold medallist to claim a world title and victory could also pave the way for a rematch with George Groves, who is mandatory challenger for WBC champion Anthony Dirrell.

Exciting heavyweight Anthony Joshua expects his rescheduled fight with Kevin Johnson to be included on the London bill.

A back problem forced the unbeaten 25-year-old to pull out of his bout with the American, but he will continue his comeback from injury in the capital.

“April 4 is when I’ll be back for a nice warm-up,” he told last week’s Ringside??Toe 2 Toe podcast. “The guy I was supposed to be fighting on January 31 [Kevin Johnson], I’ll be fighting on April 25 at the O2 Arena.”

Comments