Campbell calls off Hull fight

The Olympic gold medallist was due to have a 10th professional fight in his home town on March 7 ahead of a possible summer meeting with fellow Hull lightweight Tommy Coyle.

But the card will now go ahead without Campbell, who took time off last year when his father was diagnosed with cancer.

He said:??”After a period in intensive care, my Dad has now been moved to Dove House Hospice and I feel it’s important that I spend every second possible with my family.

“I hope that the fans understand my decision and I shall be back in action soon.”

A statement from promoters Matchroom said Campbell’s fight – scheduled against an as-yet unnamed opponent following Gary Sykes’ withdrawal – would be replaced on the card.

The remainder of the bill goes ahead as planned, with Coyle taking on former British champion Martin Gethin as part of a programme featuring rising stars??Sam Eggington, Rocky Fielding, Bradley Saunders and Gamal Yafai.

Comments