The eight-division world champion said negotiations were nearly complete after he dropped his opposition to drugs screening – and even suggested a $5m fine if he tests positive.
“(The fight) is near. The negotiations are nearly finished,” Pacquiao said during a break from evening sessions in parliament, where he represents one of Philippines??? provinces.
“We agreed that this fight has to happen. We are ironing out the kinks. He (Mayweather) said he wants the fight to push through.”
Pacquiao is 57-5 with two draws and 38 knockouts, while Mayweather is 47-0 with 26 knockouts.
The mega-fight could go down in history as boxing’s biggest and most lucrative.
However time is running out for fans to see them fight in peak form, with Pacquiao aged 36 and Mayweather 37.
In a brief television interview on Sunday, Mayweather denied a deal had been signed but said he was “hopeful” the fight with Pacquiao would happen.
Pacquiao declined to say how much the deal would be worth and gave few other details. However he said a rematch clause in the contract was unlikely.
Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, last month ignited talk of the fight occurring in Las Vegas in May when he said negotiations in the contracts had been “narrowed down to extraordinarily small points”.
Among the many factors that have prevented the two from getting into the ring in the past was a demand by Mayweather that he receive a bigger share of the fight’s revenue.
Mayweather had also demanded strict Olympic-style drug screening that would require blood tests 30 days before the fight, instead of a few days.
Without giving specifics of the current requirements by Mayweather about the drug testing, Pacquiao said that he had agreed.
“We agreed to their demand. In fact, I suggested a $5m fine if I test positive for drugs,” he said.