Woods announced last week that he would be taking an indefinite break from golf as he looks to get his game back to an "acceptable" standard, but indicated that he may return as early as before the end of the month.
However, this will not be the case, with the 14-time major winner will miss the event in Florida, the tournament closest to his Jupiter home. His absence also means that he will not qualify for the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship the following week.
"His manager spoke to us this afternoon and told us that Tiger will not play next week," Honda Classic media director Gary Ferman told Reuters.
Honda Classic tournament director Ed McEnroe also confirmed the news, and insisted that the event was still of a world class caliber despite Woods' absence.
"Tiger is a local guy and he means so much to the community but our concern is with his health and well-being," McEnroe has been quoted as saying by USA Today.
"We're very understanding of his decision. And we also appreciate that he told us of his decision early instead of waiting until Friday's deadline.
" … We still have 16 of the top 25 in the world confirmed in the field, which is the best depth we've ever had. Tiger would have been a great addition, no question, but we still have a great field."