Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz has told the Los Angeles Times that he was “a little puzzled and dismayed” that Mayweather would not agree to the $5m (??3.37m) penalty the Filipino’s representatives had proposed should either fighter test positive for a banned drug.
However, Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe told the same newspaper that the drug testing protocol for the May 2 fight in Las Vegas had been “rigorously negotiated” by Pacquiao promoters Top Rank.
Ellerbe called Koncz an “idiot.”
“If this moron didn’t convey his fighter’s wishes when the negotiation was going on, that’s their problem,” he said.
Drug-testing was an issue in attempts to make a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight in late 2009 and early 2010.
Mayweather wanted random Olympic-style blood and urine testing, but Pacquiao objected to some of the protocols and the deal collapsed.
Mayweather later accused Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs, a charge which the Filipino denied.
Pacquiao sued Mayweather over the accusation, and the two settled out of court.
Drug-testing differences have been just part of the long path to the May 2 contest between the two fighters widely considered the best pound-for-pound fighters of their generation.
Pacquiao is 57-5 with two drawn and 38 knockouts, while Mayweather is 47-0 with 26 knockouts.
Last week, the US Anti-Doping Agency said both fighters had agreed to undergo Olympic-style random drug-testing prior to the bout.
Mayweather has had USADA testing for all of his bouts since 2010.
Pacquiao first suggested that the reciprocal fine for a failed drug test was extra insurance that a doping issue would not jeopardise the fight that fans worldwide have longed for.
But Ellerbe said the arrangement was an attempt to “put a $5m price tag if Manny tested positive”.
“It will cost Manny a lot more than some $5m if he comes up positive,” he said.