Sefolosha: The police injured me

Sefolosha suffered a broken right fibula and ligament damage when he was arrested outside a nightclub in Manhattan last Wednesday. 

The 30-year-old was arrested in front of the 1OAK Club, where Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland had been stabbed in a separate incident. 

Police claim that they had to detain Sefolosha as he was interfering with the establishment of a crime scene and resisting arrest. 

"On advice of counsel, I hope you can appreciate that I cannot discuss the facts of the case," Sefolosha told reporters. "Those questions will be answered by my attorney in a court of law. I will simply say that I am in great pain, have experienced a significant injury and that the injury was caused by the police."

As a result of the injuries he sustained, Sefolosha will undergo surgery this week and miss the playoffs. 

"This has been a difficult time for me and I truly appreciate the support I have received from everyone," Sefolosha said. "I am extremely disappointed that I will not be able to join my teammates on the court during the playoffs and apologize to them for any distraction this incident has caused. I will be cheering for them every step of the way and will be diligent in my rehabilitation."

Videos of Sefolosha's arrest, which appeared on TMZ, show a group of officers wrestling him to the ground, while one seemed to take out his baton and strike him in the lower body. 

Sefolosha has submitted a complaint saying that he was injured by police at the scene of his arrest. 

"We are also investigating the tactics of the police in this case," Sefolosha's lawyer added. 

NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued a statement about the incident on Tuesday, which said: "We support Thabo during this difficult time and wish him success with his rehabilitation. The league continues to work to obtain more information about the circumstances surrounding Thabo's arrest and injury."

Meanwhile, the New York Police Department's deputy commissioner of public information and Internal Affairs bureau refused to comment on the case.