The new England director of cricket will hold his first press conference since taking on the role on Tuesday, a matter of hours after meeting with Pietersen in the wake of his career-best triple century at the Kia Oval.
Pietersen has been absent from the England team since the end of the 2013-14 Ashes series but the arrival of Colin Graves as ECB chairman started rumours that the 34-year-old might be brought out of the wilderness.
He gave up his contract in the Indian Premier League and re-signed with Surrey, for whom he scored 326 against Leicestershire on Monday.
After that innings he met with Strauss and ECB chief executive Tom Harrison when, according to Sky sources, he was told an international return is unlikely.
Pietersen had earlier reiterated his desire to pull on an England shirt again, saying:?????All I???ve been asked to do by the chairman elect is get a county and to score runs and I???ve done both and I do believe I???m good enough to play for England. All I can do is score runs. That???s it.
???It???s an interesting time and what more can I do? I was told to find a county. I was told to score runs. I think I???m scoring runs. I???ve always said since my knee was sorted that, if my knee was good, I???m going to play well.
???I played well in the Big Bash. I gave up a contract in India. I???m not playing for any money here. I???m dedicated to getting back my England place. I want my England place and I think I deserve my England place.???
Pietersen has shared a strained relationship with Strauss since being dropped by England in 2012 over reports he sent derogatory text messages to South Africa players about the then-England captain.
After being reintegrated back into the side, he was then sacked by England in February 2014 after the Ashes series whitewash in Australia, only for managing director Paul Downton’s departure to kick-start suggestions he could earn an unlikely recall.
Strauss also has to find a permanent successor to Peter Moores, who was sacked last week. Paul Farbrace will take control for the two-Test series against New Zealand ahead of the Ashes later in the summer.
England will finalise their squad on Thursday to face New Zealand at Lord’s in the first Investec Test next week.