Hughes died on November 27 last year, at the age of 25, just two days after being hit on the head by a Sean Abbott bouncer in a first-class match in Sydney.
The review will be chaired by QC, David Curtain, a former Chairman of the Victorian Bar Council and President of the Australian Bar Association.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said the review would investigate what could be done to prevent such accidents.
“When this tragedy happened, I said that it was a freak accident, but it was one freak accident too many,” Sutherland said in a statement.??”Never again do we want to see something like that happen on a cricket field.
“We have a deep responsibility and obligation to look into the events of that awful day to understand everything that occurred and then see what could be done to prevent a similar accident happening in the future.”
But Sutherland said the review was not designed to apportion any blame and would be used to continue to add to changes already made since Hughes’ death.
Medical presence at all CA-controlled matches has been increased and the body is working closely with its helmet supplier to improve protective equipment offered to all players.
“It is about making sure that as a sport we are doing everything in our power to prevent an accident of this nature happening again,” he added.
“This review will help determine whether we need to implement further measures before the 2015-16 season.
“We fully recognise that undertaking a process such as this may be a traumatic experience for some and we will be as respectful and understanding as possible throughout that time.
“As such Cricket Australia and all states continue to make available counselling and support to any players and staff who feel they need help at any time.”