ODI rule changes start in July

The key changes, which will start being used for series starting on or after July 5, will see no compulsory catchers from the first to the 10th over in ODIs while there will be no batting powerplays permitted between the 15th and 40th overs.

Fielding changes will see five fielders allowed outside the 30-yard circle between the 41st and 50th overs, while in both ODI and T20s, all no balls and not just foot faults will result in a free hit.

“We have thoroughly reviewed the ODI format after a very successful ICC Cricket World Cup,??? said ICC chief executive David Richardson.

???There was no need to make any radical changes to what has proved to be a vibrant and popular format but we wanted to take this opportunity to make the format simpler and easier to follow for the public as well as maintaining a balance between bat and ball.

“In making these adjustments, we have tried to ensure that ODI cricket retains the attacking, aggressive and thrilling brand, which has recently become the hallmark of 50-over cricket and sets us on a positive path to the next World Cup in England in 2019.”

The playing condition changes were announced at the close of the ICC annual conference in Barbados, where the board also reviewed and adopted the recommendations of an Integrity Working Party, whose task it had been to review the threat of corruption at international and domestic level.

The decision means a greater role for the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit and the vision to keep cricket clean.

“This has been an extensive exercise, which clearly reflects our seriousness, endeavor and commitment to addressing and eradicating the menace of corruption from cricket,” ICC chairman Narayanaswami Srinivasan said.

“The successful implementation of these recommendations will help reduce the threat level but we need to remain vigilant and maintain a zero-tolerance approach.”

Comments