May attends Michael Johnson Academy

Gloucester and England wing Jonny May recently spent time at the Michael Johnson Academy in Texas as he looks to return from injury in top form.

After suffering a serious leg injury in December, 2015, he is targeting a comeback as he finally sees the light at the end of the recovery tunnel.

May travelled with the Cherry and Whites to Tenerife this week for a pre-season camp and recently spent time in Texas working on his speed.

“It’s been a pretty tough time. I think it was seven months since my operation this month, and it’s been a long road. I’ve honestly worked so hard, and it is coming along the way I would’ve hoped and I did some running in the last week and I was around 90 percent of my top speed, which isn’t bad considering where I’m at,” said a positive May when speaking to Gloucester‘s website.

“I was thinking that if I could add a percent a week then I’ll be in a good place pretty soon.”

The international finisher admitted it had been a difficult time for him when the injury struck and also in the early stages of his rehabilitation.

“I couldn’t really imagine it being much tougher really, and it has been hell at times. Somehow I’ve just managed to keep working hard every day and grinding through every day. Even if it has taken me a bit longer to get through every session, before I finish them,” he said.

“Every day I have been waking up determined to give it everything I’ve got.

“I guess it has helped to have familiar faces with me in rehab. Normally you would not wish at all for anyone to get injured, but the facts are that there are usually 20 percent of a squad injured at one time.

“I’ve been the longest member of the injury club, boys have come in and gone and I’ve remained injured. But whenever boys have been injured we’re all there for each other.”

Helping May through the difficult times was the fact he was named in England’s Elite Player Squad in August and with head coach Eddie Jones in regular contact, the wing is feeling positive about the future.

“That was really nice, to be fair, Eddie has been in contact with me from the start. We’ve had letters from him around Christmas, then I got injured and he was texting me throughout the surgery and wanting updates as I was beginning my rehab,” he said.

“It’s good to know that he likes me as a player and that he is keen to get me back in to the squad. I saw Eddie last weekend and he assured me to get fit as quick as I could. And I’m doing just that.

“It’s reassuring to know that after all of this time, that I’m still in his thoughts and that he rates me as a player.”