Day/Night Test decision will be made June 8

An announcement will be made on June 8 regarding whether or not November's Adelaide Test between Australia and South Africa will be played as a day/night Test.

The South African players had rejected the proposed pink-ball test but have since entered into negotiations with Cricket Australia, with Australian newspaper the Herald Sun reporting last week that the South African players had changed their minds during the IPL.

CEO of the South African Cricketers' Association, Tony Irish told ESPN Cricinfo: "[The player body is] still dealing with the issue [and will have a] final decision one way or the other within the next two days".

Irish had earlier said: "The players' strong desire to play this as a normal Test match is testament to how much they actually care about the series."

South Africa have suffered a massive knock in the rankings dropping from first to sixth in the last year after a washed out series in Bangladesh, defeat to India away, and England at home.

The South Africans feel that Australia would have an unfair advantage, having already played a pink-ball test, and are thought to be unwilling to hand the initiative to their rivals by agreeing to play in unfamiliar conditions.

Ahead of the only previous day/night Test Cricket Australia offered New Zealand's players a million dollar incentive. It is not known if a similar incentive has been offered to the South Africans.

Cricket Australia has offered South Africa a trial match in the build up to the test, which would allow the players to come to grips with the challenges playing with the pink ball present.

Comments