Five Hurricanes players could miss Saturday's clash with the Reds in Wellington after they breached a curfew during the team's tour to South Africa.
Hurricanes assistant coach Jason Holland confirmed that several players broke a curfew before last weekend's 32-15 defeat to the Sharks in Durban after it was reported earlier that five players were involved in the transgression.
A statement from the Hurricanes, released on Wednesday, acknowledged that a "small group of players breached team protocol" while the team was in South Africa.
"The matter has been dealt with internally and Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd will be happy to discuss it further at tomorrow's [Thursday's] scheduled media session once the team to play the Reds in Wellington on Saturday has been named," said the statement.
Holland said the "indiscretion" came early in last week after the Hurricanes' 50-17 victory over the Lions in Johannesburg.
"They broke a curfew," Holland told Radiosport.
"We'll wait until we see where we are before we talk about who it is. If that [dropping players] is the decision we come to it will be pretty obvious [tomorrow, when the team is named], that's right.
"We set pretty high standards around our protocols and if there are any little minor discretions there will be consequences. We're in the process of sorting out what we do with that at the moment.
"It's an indiscretion. We didn't get our preparation 100 per cent right … and if there's anything that affects our preparation then we have to deal with it."
Meanwhile, Hurricanes captain Dane Coles gave little away when asked about the matter.
"I don't really want to talk about it, but the team will be named tomorrow morning and we'll just go from there, I don't want to dab into it too much," he told ONE News.