LEGAZPI CITY — A competing student-athlete in Special Games was rushed to the nearby hospital on Wednesday morning after getting electrocuted by a livewire from a food truck located inside the Albay Sports and Tourism Complex here, putting a big dampener in the 2016 Palarong Pambansa.
Pamela Tabastabas of MIMAROPA was supposed to compete in the Standing Long Jump set at 8 a.m. but excused herself before the competitions to urinate in a nearby portalette located within the premises of the main venue.
But Tabastabas, 12, accidentally held on the metal railing of the Jollibee Mobile Food Station that was in direct contact with the livewire, causing her to collapse and trigger commotion among those in attendance.
Carolyn Silas, the officer-in-charge of the food truck, was the first to respond to Tabastabas’ need but also got herself electrocuted, according to PhilSpada Executive Director Dennis Esta.
“Sabi noong nakakitang atleta ay parang hinigop. Pati iyung nag-rescue sa kanya ay nakuryente din dahil sa lakas ng kuryente na nakakabit doon sa food station,” said Esta, the chief official of the Palaro Special Games.”The doctor is still examining the degree of electrocution pero iniadvise na rin na magstay sa ospital dahil baka naapektuhan ang kanyang internal organs.”
Albay Province Governor Joey Salceda disclosed that Tabastabas suffered minor burns but is now “in stable condition and is under observation for 48 hours as a medical protocol.”
Salceda added: “The incident was caused by electrical wirings from the Jollibee truck and not from the facilities of BU (Bicol University). The Jollibee truck will be relocated and its electrical devices will be reviewed. Jollibee assured to extend assistance to the child.”
Tabastabas is already cleared by the attending pediatrician, according to Salceda. – By Jerome Lagunzad
Follow this writer on Twitter: @JLFoxSports