Michael Garcia, a US attorney, said it is “necessary” for FIFA’s executive committee to authorise the publication of his report into alleged corruption and claims of rule-breaking in the bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively.
The judge in charge of issuing sanctions, Hans-Joachim Eckert, said last week he would not publish the report.
FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce has joined calls from fellow executive committee members Prince Ali Bin Hussein from Jordan and Sunil Gulati from the United States for the report to be made public.
The issue is expected to be discussed at FIFA’s executive committee meeting in Zurich on Thursday and Friday, with FIFA president Sepp Blatter due to hold a news conference on Friday following the meeting.
Garcia said: “Given the limited role Mr Hans-Joachim Eckert envisions for the adjudicatory chamber, I believe it is now necessary for the FIFA executive committee to authorise the appropriate publication of the report on the inquiry into the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup bidding process.
“Publication would be consistent with statements made by a number of executive committee members, with the view recently expressed by independent governance committee Chair Mark Pieth, and with the goals of the reform process.”
Prince Ali said on Tuesday: “In the interest of full transparency, I believe it is important that the much-anticipated report on the ethics investigation that is crucial to ensuring good governance at FIFA is fully disclosed and open to the public.
“This will only help the football community move ahead in reforming our institutions in the best interest of the sport.
“The entire football family as well as its sponsors and those who follow the game worldwide have a full right to know the contents of the report in the spirit of complete openness.”
When contacted about Prince Ali???s statement, Boyce, from Northern Ireland, said that he fully supported the comments and would like the findings of Garcia’s report fully disclosed and open to the public.
???I have stated on many occasions that if people have nothing to hide they should have no problem with the results of this inquiry becoming public knowledge,??? he said.
These latest calls come after Conservative MP Damian Collins revealed earlier this week that he had written to the Serious Fraud Office asking that it obtains a copy of the FIFA investigation.