World number 25 Kevin Anderson revealed he had received threats from people who bet on him to win, following his first round loss to Denis Istomin.
“It pretty much happens after every match regardless of the circumstances,” the South African said.
“People who have bet on the match tend to take to social media and say very inappropriate things.”
The 30-year-old also took to Twitter to voice his plight, before thanking “good people out there who [have stuck] with me through this tough year.”
Bummed to have lost yesterday, but at least I had a ton of death threats on facebook and twitter to make me feel better about things…
— Kevin Anderson (@kevinanderson18) June 28, 2016
This isn’t the first case in the sport of alleged threats made over social media, with Britain’s Heather Watson reporting similar messages last year.
This will increase concerns among tennis’s governing bodies, all too wary of the potential consequences of such threats after the 1993 stabbing of Monica Seles.
Anderson said abuse over social media was commonplace, but conceded: “It’s just something you have to deal with as a professional athlete who is in the limelight.”
Istomin, who won in five sets, faces Nicolas Almagro in the second round.