Three-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic hinted that he may miss Wimbledon following his surprise loss to Marco Cecchinato in the French Open quarter-finals on Tuesday.
Djokovic went down 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 7-6 (13-11) to the world number 72 in Paris in a match the resurgent Serb had been expected to win.
The 31-year old Djokovic, who is still recovering from a long-term elbow injury, was treated for a shoulder ailment during Tuesday’s defeat.
Visibly upset by the loss, Djokovic suggested that he may now miss Wimbledon.
“I don’t know if I’m going to play on grass,” he said. “I don’t know what I’m going to do. I cannot give you any answer. I’m just not thinking about tennis at the moment.”
The 12-time major champion went straight to a small interview room after the defeat and provided short, curt answers to the gathered reporters.
He admitted that the defeat was “a hard one to swallow” during a moody press conference that he cut short after just a few questions.
“Any defeat is difficult in the Grand Slams, especially the one that came from months of build-up,” he said.
“I thought I had a great chance to get at least a step further, but wasn’t to be.”
Asked if he was back, Djokovic replied.
“I am back in the locker room. That’s where I’m back,” he said.
Stream every match at Roland Garros live on the FOX+ app and catch up on highlights of any action you’ve missed. For more info on FOX+ click here or to start your *free 30 day trial download the FOX+ app. * FOX+ is available in select territories