Novak Djokovic admits he is reconsidering his return to tennis following his early exit at the Miami Open.
The former World No 1 recently returned from a long-standing elbow injury but finds himself in the midst of a comeback that has so far brought little success.
Djokovic’s 6-3, 6-4 defeat to Benoit Paire in the first round of the Miami Open was his third successive defeat, and the Serb admits he may have to reassess his recovery as he is finding it “impossible” to attain the level he wants at present.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) March 23, 2018
“I’m trying, but it’s not working,” said Djokovic. “That’s all it is. I mean, obviously I’m not feeling great when I’m playing this way.
“Of course I want to be able to play as well as I want to play. Just, it’s impossible at the moment. That’s all.
“I felt I started the match well, first six games. Then I just ran out of gas. He was serving well. I just wasn’t able to break him down. He was just coming up with the good shots at the right time. It happened very fast.
“I wanted to come to Indian Wells and Miami because I wanted to see whether I can play a match.
“I love playing on the hard court. I wanted to get a couple of tournaments before the clay court season starts. I obviously wasn’t ready for that.”
Djokovic planned to play two more hardcourt tournaments stateside as a precursor to a full clay court season, but now sounds unsure about his schedule.
“That was the plan,” he said when asked if he felt ready for the Monte Carlo Masters at the end of April. “But let’s see what happens.”