Konta: I am fit to play Wimbledon

Britain's Johanna Konta has confirmed she is fit to play at Wimbledon after recovering from a fall which saw her pulling out of the Aegon International last week.

Ahead of the Wimbledon Championships, which starts on the grass courts at the All England Club in London on Monday, there was concern the sixth-seeded Konta would not be fit to take part after falling and banging back and her head during last week's quarter-final win over Angelique Kerber at the Aegon International forcing he to withdraw from playing in the semi-finals.  

The good news on Sunday is that the 26-year-old Brit has confirmed she will be playing at SW19. 

"I'm definitely recovering really well," she told a news conference. "I practised today. I felt good. I'm definitely looking forward to playing my first round. Like Andy (Murray), I'd like to think that I'm fit enough to play seven matches but I'm going to be taking it one at a time."

Konta's first round opponent on Monday is 31-year-old Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan who defeated the Brit at the French Open last month.

"It's quite interesting that I actually get to play her again," said Konta. "I guess in terms of the probability of playing each other first round in a slam in a row, that's actually pretty cool.

"Well, I know she does enjoy the grass. She's a Wimbledon champion in doubles here on the grass, so she definitely can play on this surface. Actually, the first time I played her, I lost to her on the grass.

"I'm definitely going into the match knowing that she will be playing very comfortably on the surface, she will definitely look to make things difficult for me."

Comments