Maria Sharapova revealed she was disappointed after being bundled out in the seconds round of the Madrid Open but vowed to fight back.
An inspired Eugenie Bouchard – who has been very outspoken since Sharapova's return from a drug ban – defeated the Russian superstar in a three-set thriller earlier this week.
"Of course I'm disappointed…that's what's going to make me a better player…that's what's going to win me more tournaments and more grand slams," Sharapova told the press after the match.
"I would be worried about myself if I sat here and said I'm pretty happy with losing a tennis match, no matter who I face, no matter what round it is, whether it's the first round or final of a grand slam.
"I'm a big competitor. What you work for, for so many hours every single day is to be on the winning end of matches."
Bouchard called Sharapova a cheater in an interview last month, which greased the wheels for the grudge match on Monday. Sharapova has been widely criticised by tennis fans and players alike for her red carpet return to tennis.
However, Sharapova added that she does not pay much attention to off-court issues.
"I'm just one of the two players out on the court," continued the 30-year-old.
"Everything that surrounds myself, I don't pay attention to much of it. I've been part of this game for many years. I know what the drill is."