Romanian player Simona Halep said she may pull out of playing at the Rio Olympics due to her concerns over the Zika virus.
In an interview with Reuters after her first round win at Wimbledon on Monday, Halep said her concerns about going to Rio was due to the very limited information available with regard to the Zika virus.
— HalepBand (@HalepBand) June 27, 2016
"I have to research this virus because it's not easy to get all the information," Halep told Reuters.
"I've asked many doctors (about Zika) and I have to speak to doctors again after this tournament.
"I've heard that even if you are not pregnant at the moment and you get the virus, when you get pregnant it (the virus) will activate. I'm very worried.
"I am planning to go (to Rio) but I have to make sure it is safe there and I am safe there. When I play tennis, my health is the most important thing," added the world number five.
"It's dangerous for the ladies and many sportsmen have withdrawn from Rio for this same reason. It's a real dilemma when it's about your health, so I cannot say anything now for sure (whether I will pull out or not)."
The 24-year-old is not the only sportsperson to have fears of contracting the virus, which in pregnant women can cause a birth defect that can lead to developmental problems in babies and can also cause Guillain-Barre, a rare neurological syndrome that causes temporary paralysis in adults.
So far some leading golfers have pulled out of the Rio Olympics due to Zika virus fears, including, Rory McIlroy, Vijay Singh, Adam Scott, Charl Schwartzel and Louis Oosthuizen.
Halep will next be in action at Wimbledon when she faces Francesca Schiavone of Italy in the second round on Wednesday.