Alex Lowes set the fastest lap of the first day of testing at the Chang International Circuit in Buriram, Thailand, where this weekend's second leg of the World Superbike Championship takes place.
In scorching hot conditions, FP2 started with most of the field some way behind Jonathan Rea's best time of FP1 – which was more than a second faster than anybody outside of his team-mate Tom Sykes.
For most of the session, the Ulsterman continued to top the time sheets even though the gap to the leader was significantly reduced as the session proceeded.
On his final flying lap of the session, with the chequered flag fast approaching, it was Lowes who bettered his countryman with a time of 1min 34.685secs that put him on top of the time sheets, albeit by only a tenth of a second.
About half a second further back was Chaz Davies in third place on his Ducati, while Aprilia's Leon Haslam and Sykes on the other Kawasaki rounded out the top five.
Reigning champion Sylvain Guintoli was sixth fastest and the biggest improver between the two sessions on his PATA Honda.
Troy Bayliss was seventh fastest after establishing himself in the top 10 early on in the session, before posting his fastest time later on. Nevertheless, the former champion's best time was a second off Lowes' pacesetter.
Matteo Baiocco was a eighth quickest and of Jordi Torres and David Salom, who rounded out top 10.
Just outside the spots available for Q2 tomorrow was Leandro Mercado, Michael van der Mark, Randy de Puniet and Sylvain Barrier and Nico Terol.
1. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 34.685s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 34.751s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 35.288s
4. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 35.288s
5. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 35.457s
6. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 35.570s
7. Troy Bayliss AUS Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 35.690s
8. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 35.913s
9. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 35.943s
10. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 36.055s
11. Leandro Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 36.105s
12. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.218s
13. Randy de Puniet FRA Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 36.263s
14. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 36.308s
15. Nico Terol ESP Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 36.391s
16. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR 1m 36.940s
17. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.632s
18. Niccolo Canepa ITA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 37.692s
19. Christophe Ponsson LUX Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.824s
20. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.964s
21. Anucha Nakcharoensri THA YSS TS Honda CBR1000RR 1m 38.174s
22. Greg Gildenhuys RSA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.767s
23. Larry Pegram USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 38.772s
24. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 39.256s
25. Ireneusz Sikora POL Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 40.719s
26. Chanon Chumjai THA RAC Oil BMW S1000RR 1m 40.810s