Tom Sykes set a record lap to claim pole position for the German leg of the World Superbike series, which is in Klettwitz this weekend.
The Brit flew around the EuroSpeedway in a record time of 1:36.121 on his Kawasaki, edging teammate Jonathan Rea by over two tenths of a second. Milwaukee Aprilia rider Lorenzo Savadori rounds out the front row.
— KRT WorldSBK (@KRT_WorldSBK) August 19, 2017
It was the start of a special day for Rea, who turns 32. The pole time was nearly two seconds quicker than the previous record and was his 2nd career pole, moving him to within one of record holder Troy Corser.
Further down the field, Ducati's Marco Melandri is in fourth, Jordi Torres on his Althea BMW claimed fifth and Chaz Davies completes the second row.
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR 1:36.121s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR 1:36.334s
3. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1:36.463s
4. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R 1:36.700s
5. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR 1:36.739s
6. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R 1:36.761s
7. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 1:36.774s
8. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1:36.796s
9. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 1:36.931s
10. Markus Reiterberger GER Van Zon Remeha BMW S1000RR 1:37.243s
11. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 1:37.532s
12. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati Panigale R 1:37.834s