Reigning MotoGP champion Marc Marquez said he likes the new layout at the Circuit de Barcelona ahead of this weekend’s Gran Premi de Catalunya.
The Repsol Honda driver said he is pleased to get back into action in his home country following last weekend’s race in Italy and is confident despite the challenging new course.
Both Marquez and teammate Dani Pedrosa had the chance to test the circuit on 24 May.
“I’m happy to get back in action soon and to do it at Catalunya, as racing at home in front of all your fans always gives you an extra boost! In Italy we managed the situation as well as possible, but we must do better,” said Marquez.
— Marc Márquez (@marcmarquez93) June 6, 2017
“We have to be able to remain more consistently at a good level. The test we did at Catalunya some days ago actually went well enough. We did a lot of laps, improving the bike’s setup over the day, so we’ll try and build on that beginning on Friday,” he added.
Changes to the track were made following the fatal accident last year involving Moto2 rider Luis Slalom.
As required by the FIM, the F1 layout will be used at Turn 10, and a new chicane has been added after Turn 13, meaning the track is slightly shorter at 4,652 meters. Previously it measured 4,655 meters.
“As for the changes made to the track, I think they’re interesting and quite challenging to interpret well. The speed and the corners on the rest of the circuit are all similar, while in that sector they’re now quite different. But honestly, the layout is so particular that I like it!”
Marquez, who lies fourth in the standings with 68 points, will be looking to repeat his 2014 result at Catalunya when he won. He finished second last year.