Jose Maria Lopez may be forced to miss this week's Formula E race in Monaco, after also sitting out last weekend's WEC 6 Hours of Spa.
While he was initially given the all-clear after his crash at Silverstone last month, scans later revealed he had suffered two damaged vertebrae.
Lopez is now eyeing being fit in time for the Le Mans 24 Hours next month, and while he hasn't ruled out appearing in Monaco this weekend, he will not take any risks if it puts his maiden La Sarthe appearance at risk.
"It's not sure if I'm gonna be able to race in Monaco, I'm not doing this race [Spa WEC] because I want to recover [for Le Mans]," he told Motorsport.com.
"I'm not gonna do another race if I know that I'm not gonna be able to recover. We will arrive and we'll see what the doctors say.
"If the doctor says I'm okay, I'm recovered and I can race, I will race."
He added: "If I'm not fit I will not race, because I want to recover as soon as I can. But if they find that I can do the race, then for sure [I will].
"I have compromised with my team DS Virgin as well, I will try to jump in the car as quick as I can but making sure I'm recovering and for sure not going back on the injury."
— Audi Sport (@audisport) May 10, 2017
Waiting in the wings to step in for Lopez if he does not show, is DS Virgin reserve driver Alex Lynn, who will make his Formula E debut.
The Briton was already scheduled to race in the New York ePrix, which clashes with the Nurburgring WEC round that Lopez will be racing in.
"We'll wait and see what happens in Monaco," Lynn told Motorsport.com.
"But I recently did a test in a development test for DS, I've done a lot of simulator time, so for sure I would be ready [to race]."