Renault delay engine upgrade plans

Renault have pushed back their plans to introduce an engine upgrade as they continue to work on the reliability of the new power unit.

The Enstone had pencilled in the Canadian Grand Prix on June 11 to bring in the new engine for themselves, Red Bull – who operate under the TAG Heuer brand- and their junior team Toro Rosso.

However, the timescale has now been adjusted toward the end of July, when over half of the 2017 season will be in the books.

"We want to do that [introduce the new engine] before the summer break," Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul told Autosport.

"We want to keep it in sync with the power unit integration, and we want to do that with power unit number three if possible."

"It is something that is still work in progress.

"We are touching some limitations, but we believe the concept that we have introduced this year is the right concept."

Red Bull are using the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix to unleash their 'B-spec' chassis as they try to bridge the gap to Ferrari and Mercedes.

However, Daniel Ricciardo believes the inferior power unit is just as much to blame for the team's struggles so far this season.

He said: "For sure in the last years we've felt the chassis is a lot closer to where it needs to be and it's more power unit [performance] we're looking for, but I feel this year so far we're definitely trying to find a chunk from both ends.

"I feel it's now more like 50-50."

Experience the full coverage of the FIA Formula One season throughout 2017 on FOX Sports Play, where you can watch LIVE races from angles unlike any other, highlights, interviews, behind the scenes and many more. Don’t miss it!

Comments