Dani Pedrosa topped the timesheets after a tricky first practice session at a wet Jerez circuit for the Spanish Grand Prix.
Steady rain ensured all drivers had to stick to the soft wet tyres throughout the first 45-minute session, with Pedrosa finishing just 0.002 seconds ahead of Cal Crutchlow and Jack Miller a further two tenths back to complete a Honda top-three.
As the dark clouds lingered over a cold Jerez circuit, Jorge Lorenzo set the very early pace from reigning World Champion Marc Marquez and Danilo Petrucci.
Lorenzo was then eclipsed by his Ducati team-mate Andrea Dovizioso, who found an extra half a second on a increasingly slippy track.
— FOX Sports MotoGP (@FOXSportsMotoGP) May 5, 2017
Maverick Viñales, a two-time winner so far this season, then had a close shave when being passed by Marquez and Pedrosa, with the latter going on to set a new fastest time – a 1:52.308 – with 15 minutes of the first practice session remaining.
MotoGP rookie Jonas Folger sprung a surprise shortly after, going 0.059s quicker to fly up to P1 for a brief period before the Honda trio, led again by Pedrosa, upped the ante in the closing stages.
The results from the first practice session can be seen below:
1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 51.648s
2. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 51.650s 0.002s
3. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 51.807s 0.159s
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 51.830s 0.182s
5. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 51.962s 0.314s
6. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 52.249s 0.601s
7. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 52.350s 0.702s
8. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 52.353s 0.705s
9. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 52.359s 0.711s
10. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 52.555s 0.907s
11. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 52.684s 1.036s
12. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 52.834s 1.186s
13. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 52.917s 1.269s
14. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m 53.102s 1.454s
15. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m 53.204s 1.556s
16. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 53.263s 1.615s
17. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 53.375s 1.727s
18. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 1m 53.752s 2.104s
19. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 53.885s 2.237s
20. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 54.087s 2.439s
21. Takuya Tsuda JPN Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 54.316s 2.668s
Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) No Time
Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP15) No Time