Kawasaki Racing rider Jonathan Rea has shown that he is ready for the upcoming World Superbike season by clocking the fastest time on Day Two of the official pre-season testing at Phillip Island in Australia on Tuesday.
The defending world champion was over a quarter of a second faster than anyone else and finished well ahead of Day One pace-setter Xavi Fores, who was fifth quickest on his Barni Ducati.
Rea did the best time of 1m 30.545s and was followed in second place by Aruba.it Racing Ducati's Marco Melandri (1m 30.575s) and third was teammate Chaz Davies on his Ducati (1m 30.893s).
A second off the pace in fourth place was Kawasaki's Tom Sykes(1m 31.044s) ahead of Fores.
MV Agusta's Leon Camier gave another impressive performance to claim sixth ahead of Milwaukee Aprilia's Lorenzo Savadori followed by Yamaha's Alex Lowes and Althea BMW's Jordi Torres.
Closing out the top ten was Puccetti Kawasaki's Randy Krummenacher ahead of Alex de Angelis riding his Pedercini Kawasaki.
Some of the well-known riders battled, with Eugene Laverty (12th), Michael van der Mark (13th) and Nicky Hayden (14th).
The opening round of the 2017 season starts at the Phillip Island Circuit this weekend.
Day Two Test times:
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R – 1m 30.545s
2. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R – 1m 30.575s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R – 1m 30.893s
4. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R – 1m 31.044s
5. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R – 1m 31.226s
6. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR – 1m 31.293s
7. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 – 1m 31.449s
8. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 – 1m 31.629s
9. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR – 1m 31.673s
10. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R – 1m 31.783s
11. Alex de Angelis SMR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R – 1m 31.794s
12. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 – 1m 31.881s
13. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 – 1m 31.936s
14. Nicky Hayden USA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 – 1m 31.952s
15. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR – 1m 32.071s
16. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R – 1m 32.205s
17. Josh Brookes AUS ER Motorsports Yamaha YZF-R1 – 1m 32.396s
18. Riccardo Russo ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1 – 1m 32.771s
19. Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 – 1m 32.796s
20. Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R – 1m 32.856s
21. Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R – 1m 33.139s