Maverick Vinales was the fastest rider on day three of testing at the Sepang Circuit in Malaysia on Wednesday.
The new Movistar Yamaha rider was one of ten riders dipping below two minutes, clocking a 1:59.368s in his 40th lap of the eight-hour testing session.
Vinales and his teammate Valentino Rossi – who notched up a 1:59.589s to finish in fifth – were testing the new Yamaha fairing with covered winglets on either side of the machine.
That's a wrap on the #SepangTest?
Day 3 top 10:
Viñales, Marquez, Dovizioso, Pedrosa, Rossi, Bautista, Stoner, Crutchlow, Lorenzo, Zarco! pic.twitter.com/Wi8sEfpCIU
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) February 1, 2017
This was marginally quicker than Andrea Iannone’s day two fast time of 1:59.452s and day one’s fastest time, a 1:59.680s set by Casey Stoner on his Suzuki.
There was a thundershower around 14h30 in Sepang, but the heat ensured the track dried out quickly as the rider’s returned.
Phillip Island in Australia plays host to the next round of testing from February 15-17.
Day three times:
1. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m59.368s
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m59.506s 0.138s
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m59.553s 0.185s
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m59.578s 0.210s
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m59.589s 0.221s
6. Alvaro Bautista ESP Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP16) 1m59.628s 0.260s
7. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Test Rider (Desmosedici GP17) 1m59.639s 0.271s
8. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 59.728s 0.360s
9. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m59.767s 0.399s
10. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m59.772s 0.404s
11. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m0.045s 0.677s
12. Alex Rins ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m0.057s 0.689s
13. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 0.108s 0.740s
14. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP17) 2m0.310s 0.942s
15. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m0.312s 0.944s
16. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m0.439s 1.071s
17. Karel Abraham CZE Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP15) 2m0.445s 1.077s
18. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16 2m0.537s 1.169s
19. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP16) 2m0.645s 1.277s
20. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 2m0.873s 1.505s
21. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 2m1.338s 1.970s
22. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m1.341s 1.973s
23. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 2m1.506s 2.138s
24. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m1.658s 2.290s
25. Takuya Tsuda JPN Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR) 2m2.769s 3.401s