Jorge Lorenzo will start Sunday's Valencia MotoGP – his swansong for Yamaha – from pole position after setting a new lap record in qualifying at Circuit Ricardo Tormo.
The Spaniard finished 0.340s ahead of Repsol Honda's Marc Marquez in second, with his team-mate Valentino Rossi completing the front row, 0.727s back.
Your #ValenciaGP ?? front row:
— BT Sport MotoGP (@btsportmotogp) November 12, 2016
Suzuki's Maverick Vinales will lead the second row, followed by Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso and Monster Yamaha Tech 3's Pol Espargaro.
Andrea Iannone will start from seventh place on the grid, while Dani Pedrosa, returning from a three-race lay-off, finished more than a second down on Honda partner Marquez to lie eighth.
The day belonged to Lorenzo, however, who has been quick throughout the week in Spain and showed that again on Saturday.
He flew out of the gate first up with a 1m29.849s – the first sub-1m30s MotoGP lap around the Valencia circuit – and followed that up shortly after with an even quicker 1m29.613s.
Marquez would close the gap to just 0.128s in the final five minutes of the session, setting his first sub-1m30s lap as well, but Lorenzo headed out on fresh rubber to set his fastest lap of the session and make sure of pole position in his final race for Yamaha before moving to Ducati.
Cal Crutchlow, meanwhile, was fastest in the first phase of qualifying, but couldn't recover from a crash at Turn 10 in the main session, eventually having to settle for 11th.
Aspar Ducati's Eugene Laverty will start his final MotoGP race in 19th place before joining the World Superbike Championship in 2017.
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m29.401s [Lap 8/9] 316km/h (Top Speed)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m29.741s 0.340s [5/8] 315km/h
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m30.128s 0.727s [8/9] 315km/h
4. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m30.276s 0.875s [8/8] 317km/h
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m30.338s 0.937s [7/9] 321km/h
6. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m30.392s 0.991s [5/8] 314km/h
7. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m30.420s 1.019s [5/9] 319km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m30.574s 1.173s [7/9] 318km/h
9. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m30.885s 1.484s [3/5] 313km/h
10. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m30.949s 1.548s [8/9] 317km/h
11. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m31.030s 1.629s [3/6] 313km/h
12. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m31.203s 1.802s [3/4] 312km/h
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m30.894s 314km/h
14. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m31.406s 316km/h
15. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m31.686s 314km/h
16. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m31.749s 311km/h
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m31.813s 313km/h
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m31.847s 318km/h
19. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m31.956s 315km/h
20. Mika Kallio FIN Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m32.092s 311km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m32.181s 311km/h
22. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m32.240s 310km/h