Sebastian Vettel finished the second free practice session in Mexico on top of the times with a 1:19.790, beating out Lewis Hamilton by 0.004s.
On a cold day on the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Vettel surprised many on the Formula 1 paddock as he posted the fastest time on the supersofts quite early in the session, while his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen placed fourth.
Despite efforts from both Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, the duo couldn’t quite edge the German driver as they settled for two and three on timesheet.
— Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) October 28, 2016
Improving his time from the first session, Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo finished the session P5 as most of his session was concentrated on the medium compounds.
Splitting the two Red Bull’s, Nico Hulkenberg did well to finish above Max Verstappen, as they ended their session P6 and P7 respectively. His, team-mate and home town hero Sergio Perez, however, finished outside the top and placed P15.
Valtteri Bottas, Carlos Sainz and Fernando Alonso completed the top ten, with the Spaniard ending his session with 15 minutes still left on the clock.
The story so far in #FP2?
Kerbs and more kerbs
— Formula 1 (@F1) October 28, 2016
Haas ace Romain Grosjean posted his first timed lap of the day towards the end of the session as the American team called his car back in after an installation lap and seemed to have done some work on it. The Frenchman ended the session P20.
Compared to FP1, where there were red and yellow flags caused by Felipe Nasr and Verstappen, the session ran clean until the chequered flag, where Russian driver Daniil Kvyat was told switch his Toro Rosso off after it started smoking.
As the session winded down and drivers switched to mediums as the chequered flag drew closer, Vettel went unchallenged and his fastest time stood by the end of the session.
1. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1'19.790 47 laps
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 0.004 37 laps
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 0.435 46 laps
4 . Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 0.469 37 laps
5 . Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 0.658 43 laps
6. Nico Hulkenberg Force India 0.784 43 laps
7. Max Verstappen Red Bull 0.829 42 laps
8. Valtteri Bottas Williams 0.839 41 laps
9. Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 1.184 46 laps
10. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1.213 25 laps
11. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1.403 39 laps
12. Jenson Button McLaren 1.408 39 laps
13. Felipe Massa Williams 1.536 45 laps
14. Kevin Magnussen Renault 1.652 39 laps
15. Sergio Perez Force India 1.789 41laps
16. Jolyon Palmer Renault 1.995 44 laps
17. Pascal Wehrlein Manor 2.190 42 laps
18. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 2.207 42 laps
19. Felipe Nasr Sauber 2.247 43 laps
20. Romain Grosjean Haas 2.315 14 laps
21. Esteban Ocon Manor 2.508 44 laps
22. Esteban Gutierrez Haas 2.618 33 laps
Enjoy the full experience of the 2016 FIA Formula One season on FOX Sports Play, where you can catch LIVE races from angles unseen before, exclusive interviews, behind the scenes, in-depth analysis and so much more. Don’t miss it!