Tom Sykes did all he could to halt Jonathan Rea's charge to the World Superbike title as he grabbed pole position ahead of his team-mate.
On a weekend where Rea could wrap up his second World Superbike championship title, the log leader got his qualifying off to a perfect start with a P1.
A 1:40.681 put him -.273s up on Jordi Torres, who showed great pace despite being one of the two riders that needed to work his way through to SP1 to progress to the pole position shoot-out.
Sykes, the one rider who can stop Rea of sealing the deal this weekend, was fifth in the early running in southern Spain.
— WorldSBK (@WorldSBK) October 15, 2016
Out for a second run on the qualifying rubber, Nicky Hayden hit the front with a 1:40.103 but that was not enough to hold off the Kawasakis.
Sykes went quickest with a 1:39.190 – a new lap record = while Rea slotted into second place, 0.412s down.
Davide Giugliano will joined the team-mates on the front row but his 1:39.977 was 0.787s short of Sykes' pole position time.
Alex Lowes will line up in fourth place ahead of Hayden, Chaz Davies and Torres.
The top 11 riders were all under the previous lap record!
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1:39.190
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1:39.602
3.Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1:39.977
4. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 1:39.980
5. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1:40.103
6. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1:40.111
7. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR 1:40.111
8. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R 1:40.170
9. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Pata Crescent Yamaha R1 1:40.239
10. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 1: 40.276
11. Michael van der Mark NED Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 40.291
12. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 41.188
13. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR 1:41.528
14. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1:41.622
15. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1:41.838
16. Alex de Angelis RSM IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1:41.876
17. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 1:41.978
18. Luca Scassa ITA VFT Racing Ducati Panigale R 1:42.710
19. Peter Sebestyen POL Team Toth Yamaha R1 1:43.238
20. Gianluca Vizziello ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1:43.364
21. Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1:44.011
22. Saeed al Sulaiti QAT Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1:44.436
23. Karel Pesek HUN Team Toth Yamaha R1 1:45.262
24. Matthieu Lussiana FRA Team ASPI BMW S1000RR 1:45.373