Marc Marquez was in a league of his own in qualifying at MotorLand Aragon as he claimed pole position by 0.6 seconds over Maverick Vinales.
As expected Marquez was quickly out of the blocks as the championship leader was one of the first riders to lay down a lap in Q2 and what a lap it was: a 1:47.117!
His second flying lap was even quicker as he lowered the benchmark time to a 1:47.158, putting him seven-tenths ahead of Cal Crutchlow, who crashed late in the session.
Although Marquez did not improve on his second run out of the pits, he held onto pole position by 0.631s ahead of Vinales. It was Marquez's 64th pole position.
Jorge Lorenzo made a late improvement to take third place and a front row start.
Andrea Dovizioso was fourth ahead of Crutchlow and Valentino Rossi while Dani Pedrosa, another rider to crash, was P7.
Danilo Petrucci and Stefan Bradl came through a closely contested Q1 in which the top six riders were separated by less than half a second.
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) September 24, 2016
The duo finished Q2 in 9th and 12th places with the Octo Parmac rider ahead of Bradl on the factory Aprilia.
Alex Lowes did not take part in qualifying as the rider, who is replacing the injured Bradley Smith for the third time, suffered an injury of his own in FP3.
Lowes had a high speed crash and injured his foot with his condition set to be reviewed on Sunday morning before a decision is made about whether he will race.
1. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team 1m 47.117s
2. Maverick Viñales Team Suzuki Ecstar 1m 47.748s 0.631s
3. Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1m 47.778s 0.661s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team 1m 47.819s 0.702s
5. Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda 1m 47.843s 0.726s
6. Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1m 47.951s 0.834s
7. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 1m 48.017s 0.900s
8. Aleix Espargaro Team Suzuki Ecstar 1m 48.230s 1.113s
9. Danilo Petrucci Octo Pramac Yakhnich 1m 48.236s 1.119s
10. Scott Redding Octo Pramac Yakhnich 1m 48.242s 1.125s
11. Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 48.448s 1.331s
12. Stefan Bradl Factory Aprilia Gresini 1m 49.083s 1.966s
13. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing 1m 48.699s
14. Alvaro Bautista Factory Aprilia Gresini 1m 48.904s
15. Yonny Hernandez Aspar MotoGP Team 1m 48.954s
16. Eugene Laverty Aspar MotoGP Team 1m 49.052s
17. Michele Pirro Ducati Team 1m 49.139s
18. Tito Rabat Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 1m 49.319s
19. Nicky Hayden Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 1m 49.490s
20. Loris Baz Avintia Racing 1m 49.841s
21. Alex Lowes Monster Yamaha Tech 3 No Time