Ahead of the San Marino GP, local star Valentino Rossi topped the times during the first practice session at Misano while Ducati rider Andrea Iannone suffered an early fall and never returned back to the track.
Following his crash, Iannone was sent for X-Rays at the local medical centre. He only managed to complete four laps and posted a fastest time of 1m 34.699s, which was 1.248s slower than Rossi’s quickest time.
The closest rival to Rossi during the morning session was Spanish rider Pol Espargaro, who recorded a lap time of 1m 33.587s, which completed a Yamaha one-two late into the session.
Last week’s Silverstone winner Maverick Vinales finished the morning session third fastest behind his countryman, while his Suzuki Ecstar team-mate Aleix Espargaro finished just outside the top ten.
Honda’s Marc Marquez and Rossi’s team-mate Jorge Lorenzo completed the top five.
FP1 Times at San Marino:
1.Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 33.451s (Top Speed)
2. Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 0.136s
3. Maverick Viñales Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 0.262s
4. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 0.278s
5. Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 0.323s
6. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 0.335s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 0.412s
8. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 0.431s
9. Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda (RC213V) 0.469s
10. Scott Redding Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 0.583s
11. Aleix Espargaro Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 0.621s
12. Stefan Bradl Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 0.675s 9/20]
13. Jack Miller Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 0.692s
14. Michele Pirro Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 0.783s
15. Danilo Petrucci Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 0.961s
16. Alvaro Bautista Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1.045s
17. Andrea Iannone Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1.248s [4/4]
18. Alex Lowes Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1.472s
19. Yonny Hernandez Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1.474s
20. Eugene Laverty Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1.829s
21. Tito Rabat Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1.851s
22. Javier Fores Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 3.639s