Suzuki Ecstar rider Maverick Vinales topped the FP1 session for the British MotoGP at Silverstone on Friday in dry conditions.
The 21-year old Vinales set a quick time of 2m 0.482s and following him was Movistar Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo 0.282s behind and third was championship leader Marc Marquez on his Honda just 1.080s off the pace.
— Maverick Viñales (@maverickmack25) September 2, 2016
Movistar Yamaha's Valentino Rossi, who was last year's Silverstone winner, came next in fourth place and was followed by Andrea Dovizioso on his Ducati.
Vinales has been showing great pace in cooler conditions but seems to have rear traction issues when the track heats up in the afternoon sessions.
Marquez fell on his out lap at turn twelve, but avoided injury, with a cold tyre likely to be the reason for the tumble.
First faller of the session is @marcmarquez93
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) September 2, 2016
Dovizioso had led for much of the session put eventually ended fifth with Pol Espargaro sixth, Andrea Iannone was seventh and Dani Pedrosa eighth.
Friday's FP1 Results at Silverstone in dry conditions:
1. Maverick Viñales – Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 02.483s
2. Jorge Lorenzo – Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 0.282s
3. Marc Marquez – Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1.080s
4. Valentino Rossi – Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1.108s
5. Andrea Dovizioso – Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1.154s
6. Pol Espargaro – Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1.231s
7. Andrea Iannone – Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1.544s
8. Dani Pedrosa – Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1.554s
9. Scott Redding – Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1.655s
10. Danilo Petrucci – Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1.687s
11. Cal Crutchlow – LCR Honda (RC213V) 1.764s
12. Aleix Espargaro – Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1.960s
13. Eugene Laverty – Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1.990s
14. Yonny Hernandez – Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2.008s
15. Stefan Bradl – Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2.422s
16. Alvaro Bautista – Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2.651s
17. Hector Barbera – Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2.713s
18. Loris Baz – Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 3.057s
19. Jack Miller – Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 3.179s
20. Tito Rabat – Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 3.533s
21. Alex Lowes – Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 3.742s