Pole sitter Davies made a great start and by the end of lap five had opened up a 1.6s lead. Sykes and his Kawaskai team-mate Jonathan Rea were unable to catch the Aruba.it Racing Ducati rider, who went on to win. Sykes finished second followed by Rea.
In fourth place was Davide Giugiano (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati SBK Team) followed by Jordi Torres (Aprilia Racing Team – Red Devils) in fifth.
Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) took sixth place after Leon Haslam slid out and ended in 13th place. Reigning champion Sylvain Guintoli on his Pata Honda finished seventh ahead of team-mate Michael van der Mark.
In ninth was Leandro Mercado on the Barni Racing Ducati after recovering from a crash earlier in the weekend.
10th place went to Leon Camier (MV Agusta Reparto Corse), while Randy de Puniet (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) and Roman Ramos (Team Go Eleven) followed in 11th and 12th place respectively.
Full Race 1 results at Laguna Seca, United States:
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 25 laps
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1.798s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 2.107s
4. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 15.954s
5. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 19.661s
6. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 24.431s
7. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR 26.971s
8. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR1000RR 35.428s
9. Leandro Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R 41.261s
10. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR 44.583s
11. Randy de Puniet FRA Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 52.748s
12. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 54.906s
13. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 18.150s
14. Christophe Ponsson FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 20.220s
15. Gianluca Vizziello ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1 lap
16. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1 lap-
17. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1 lap
18. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 19 laps completed
19. Gabor Rizmayer HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 14 laps completed
20. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia S1000RR 3 laps completed
21. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 0 laps completed
22. Niccolò Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 0 laps completed