Kawasaki rider Tom Sykes will start in pole position for Sunday’s ninth round of the 2016 World Superbike Championship at Laguna Seca.
Scoring his seventh pole of the season, and fourth in a row, Sykes edged out his rival and teammate Jonathan Rea in the second session to sit at the front of the starting grid, gaining his revenge after being beaten by Rea in the first session.
With Kawasaki taking P1 and P2, the duo were followed closely by Ducati riders Davide Giugliano and Chaz Davies in third and fourth respectively.
Despite Davies, Rea and Sykes trading that number one spot on numerous occasions, it was Championship leader Sykes who prevailed with a time of 1m22.155s.
Further down the grid, Spanish speedster Xavi Fores was the slowest of the Ducati powered bikes, posting a time of 1m 22.979s.
Garnering cheers from the crowd, Local rider Nicky Hayden followed the Spaniard closely in sixth, only 0.009s slower.
Davies will be looking to add yet another victory under his belt in Laguna Seca, while holding off the threat of Sykes, who is a serious title contender this season as he aims to replicate his 2013 Championship winning form.
2. Jonathan Rea Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 22.210s
3. Davide Giugliano Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 22.479s
4. Chaz Davies Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 22.696s
5. Xavi Fores Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 22.979s
6. Nicky Hayden Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 22.988s
7. Jordi Torres Althea BMW S1000RR 1m 23.085s
8. Lorenzo Savadori IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1m 23.096s
9. Niccolo Canepa Pata Crescent Yamaha R1 1m 23.098s
10. Alex Lowes PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 1m 23.116s
11. Michael van der Mark Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 23.455s
12. Leon Camier MV Agusta RC F4 RR 1m 23.459s
13. Alex de Angelis IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1m 23.661s
14. Anthony West Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 24.128s
15. Josh Brookes Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 1m 24.598s
16. Roman Ramos GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 24.788s
17. Karel Abraham Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 1m 24.811s
18. Raffaele De Rosa Althea BMW S1000RR 1m 24.867s
19. Dominic Schmitter Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 25.354s
20. Saeed al Sulaiti Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 25.589s
21. Pawal Szkopek Team Toth Yamaha R1 1m 25.970s
22. Peter Sebestyen Team Toth Yamaha R1 1m 26.859s
23. Gianluca Vizziello Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 27.240s
24. Fabio Menghi VFT Ducati 1199R No time