Marc Marquez secured pole position for the third successive race at Indianapolis as the Honda rider edged out his team-mate Dani Pedrosa for the front spot on the grid.
On what was his first flying lap of the session, the reigning champion's best time of 1m31.884s was never threatened, with Pedrosa coming closest late in the second half of the second, albeit three tenths slowed than the pole-sitter.
Two-time champion Jorge Lorenzo on the Yamaha found himself down in seventh place with the end of the session approaching, but booked his place on the front row as the chequered flag came out.
MotoGP championship leader Valentino Rossi on the sister Yamaha continued to struggle at Indianapolis and the Italian had to settle for eighth place in the end, even though the seven-time champion – who last won at the iconic American track in 2008 – was on the front row with only minutes to go in the session.
Lorenzo's late salvo pushed LCR Honda rider Cal Crutchlow off the front row, who starts on the second row next to Danilo Petrucci, who set the pace early on in the session. Ducati rider Andrea Dovizioso rounds out the second row.
Ducati factory rider Andrea Iannone starts on the third row, ahead of Rossi and Suzuki youngster Maverick Vinales.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 31.884s
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.055s 0.171s
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.186s 0.302s
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR CWM LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 32.208s 0.324s
5. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.1) 1m 32.243s 0.359s
6. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 32.269s 0.385s
7. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 32.468s 0.584s
8. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.511s 0.627s
9. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1m 32.571s 0.687s
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 32.636s 0.752s
11. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 32.670s 0.786s
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 32.814s 0.930s
13. Scott Redding GBR Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 33.170s
14. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 1m 33.199s
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.278s
16. Jack Miller AUS CWM LCR Honda (RC213V-RS) 1m 33.381s
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 33.822s
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 33.839s
19. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS) 1m 33.978s
20. Nicky Hayden USA Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS) 1m 34.030s
21. Alex De Angelis RSM E-Motion IodaRacing (ART) 1m 34.226s
22. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 1m 34.322s
23. Toni Elias SPA AB Motoracing (RC213V-RS) 1m 35.167s