Honda rider Marc Marquez won his third successive race at Indianapolis on Saturday to close the gap to Valentino Rossi on the MotoGP standings to 56 points.
Marquez had started on pole position ahead of team-mate Dani Pedrosa and Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo, but the two Honda riders lost out to the Lorenzo's Yamaha at the first corner.
Championship leader Valentino Rossi on the sister Yamaha, who had started from the third row of the grid, found himself up to fourth place shortly after the start, as the leading quartet started to pull away from the chasing pack.
Lorenzo and Marquez were consistently faster than their respective team-mates and were a couple of tenths quicker on average every lap, until a gap of about three and a half seconds between the two Honda riders opened up.
With five laps to go, Rossi finally found his way past Pedrosa after the latter ran wide into turn 10, but simply didn't have the pace to make an impression on the leading duo.
Then, with three laps to go, Marquez made his move on Lorenzo, overtaking his Spanish compatriot into turn one after breaking late into the corner, and he held on to take the victory.
Some 15 seconds off the pace from the leaded quartet was Ducati's Andrea Iannone in fifth, finishing ahead of Bradley Smith despite a late rally from the Tech 3 Yamaha rider. They were comfortably ahead of Smith's team-mate Pol Espargaro and Cal Crutchlow.
Despite going off at turn two on the opening lap, Andrea Dovizioso finished in ninth while Danilo Petrucci rounded out the top 10.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 41m 55.371s
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 41m 56.059s
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 42m 1.337s
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 42m 1.518s
5. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 16.899s
6. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 42m 17.122s
7. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 42m 25.749s
8. Cal Crutchlow GBR CWM LCR Honda (RC213V) 42m 26.978s
9. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 28.192s
10. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.1) 42m 29.888s
11. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 42m 34.381s
12. Yonny Hernandez COL Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 42m 37.186s
13. Scott Redding GBR Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 45.580s
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 55.836s
15. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 42m 59.518s
16. Nicky Hayden USA Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS) 43m 0.437s
17. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 43m 2.312s
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 43m 9.233s
19. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS)* 43m 14.077s
20. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 43m 15.101s
21. Alex De Angelis RSM E-Motion IodaRacing (ART) 43m 15.253s
22. Toni Elias SPA AB Motoracing (RC213V-RS) 43m 15.305s
Jack Miller AUS CWM LCR Honda (RC213V-RS)* DNF