Lorenzo Salvadori was the unlikely rider at the top of the standings after the opening two free practice sessions for the Malaysian leg of the 2016 Superbike World Championship.
The Italian – who is in his debut season – put in a superb last gasp effort to pip Nicky Hayden. In the end, he put over two tenths of a second between himself and the Honda rider.
Another rider in his rookie season who impressed was Markus Reiterberger, who was third fastest on his BMW. The German edged Alex Lowes by just over 0.03 seconds at the Sepang International Circuit.
— WorldSBK (@WorldSBK) May 13, 2016
Riders’ championship leader Jonathan Rea, who was second fastest in the morning, just scraped through Superpole 2, earning tenth place, one ahead of his Kawasaki teammate Tom Sykes.
1. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Team RSV4 2m 3.951s
2. Nicky Hayden USA Honda World Superbike Team CBR1000RR 2m 4.167s
3. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW Racing Team S1000RR 2m 4.239s
4. Alex Lowes GBR Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team YZF R1 2m 4.262s
5. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing – Ducati 1199R 2m 4.295s
6. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW Racing Team S1000RR 2m 4.312s
7. Michael Van Der Mark NED Honda World Superbike Team CBR1000RR 2m 4.385s
8. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing – Ducati 1199R 2m 4.478s
9. Anthony West AUS Pedercini Racing ZX-10R 2m 4.743s
10. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R 2m 4.747s
11. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R 2m 4.748s
12. Alex De Angelis RSM IodaRacing Team RSV4 2m 5.153s
13. Luca Scassa ITA VFT Racing 1199R 2m 5.529s
14. Xavi Forés ESP Barni Racing Team 1199R 2m 5.625s
15. Karel Abraham CZE Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 2m 5.889s
16. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta Reparto Corse 1000 F4 2m 5.932s
17. Joshua Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 2m 6.945s
18. Josh Hook AUS Grillini Racing Team ZX-10R 2m 7.389s
19. Gianluca Vizziello ITA Team GoEleven ZX-10R 2m 8.045s
20. Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Racing Team ZX-10R 2m 8.861s
21. Pawel Szkopek POL Team Tóth YZF R1 2m 9.765s