Chaz Davies ended Jonathan Rea’s recent dominance by powering to victory in the Italian round of the World Superbike Championship at Imola on Saturday.
The Welshman also delivered a first ever victory for Aruba.it Racing Ducati at their home event in the process.
The initial race start was abandoned after an error from Dominic Schmitter caused him to collide with Peter Sebesteyen. Alex de Angelis also dropped his IodaRacing Aprilia machine on the grid to bring out the red flag as the race was reduced by a lap.
The disruption didn’t unsettle Davies, however, who grabbed the holeshot after a perfect getaway and was flawless from start to finish, fending off the early attention from Rea before a mistake from the Northern Irishman on lap eight allowed him to pull away.
Opening up a five-second cushion, Davies controlled the race from the front and rode all the way to victory.
— WorldSBK (@WorldSBK) April 30, 2016
His performance denied Rea a third straight win of the season, and a fifth consecutive win at Imola.
— Aruba.it Racing (@ArubaRacing) April 30, 2016
Rea had to contend with Tom Sykes behind him after being forced wide on lap eight, but he was able to keep the Englishman at bay to limit the damage and ensure he conceded only five points to Davies in the championship race.
Jordi Torres was fourth for Althea BMW – his best result of the year – taking full advantage of a late error from Davide Giugliano, who had to settle for fifth.
Sixth place went to Leon Camier, followed by Michael van der Mark and Lorenzo Savadori, who passed Nicky Hayden on the final lap.
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 18 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 3.406s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 3.729s
4. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR 13.631s
5. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 19.948s
6. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 25.586s
7. Michael van der Mark NED Honda Racing CBR1000RR 27.262s
8. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 28.300s
9. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Racing CBR1000RR 29.263s
10. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R 29.426s
11. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 29.622s
12. Matteo Baiocco ITA VFT Ducati 1199R 30.005s
13. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR 34.667s
14. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 57.050s
15. Alex de Angelis RSM IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 63.267s
16. Karel Abraham CZE Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 74.668s
17. Josh Hook AUS Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 110.796s
18. Pawel Szkopek POL Team Toth Yamaha R1 2 laps
Did not finish
Saeed al Sulaiti QAT Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 8 laps completed
Did not start
Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R
Peter Sebesteyen HUN Team Toth Yamaha R1
Ruled out by injury
Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Crescent Yamaha R1
Lucas Mahias FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R