Jorge Lorenzo proved he is in fine form ahead of the Spanish leg of the MotoGP season as he was fastest in the second free practice on Friday.
The Spaniard was also quickest in FP1 earlier in the day at Jerez and backed it up with another strong showing.
Lorenzo went out early on his YZR-M1 and set the fastest lap in the low one minute forties, but Marc Marquez blew that out of the water with a sizzling 1m39.900s in his sixth lap.
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) April 22, 2016
That would remain the fastest time of the afternoon until Lorenzo went back out at the death and improved to a 1m 39.957s, just behind Marquez, before posting a new benchmark of 1m 39.555s two minutes before the end of the session.
Aleix Espargaro jumped up from sixth to third late in the session on his Suzuki, while Avintia Racing’s Hector Barbera claimed fourth.
Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi could only manage fifth fastest, finishing over seven tenths of a second down on his teammate.
1. Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m39.555s
2. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m39.900s 0.345s
3. Aleix Espargaro Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m40.093s 0.538s
4. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m40.229s 0.674s
5. Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m40.282s 0.727s
6. Maverick Viñales Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m40.448s 0.893s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m40.737s 1.182s
8. Scott Redding Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m40.860s 1.305s
9. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m40.925s 1.370s
10. Eugene Laverty Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m40.925s 1.370s
11. Andrea Iannone Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m41.017s 1.462s
12. Yonny Hernandez Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m41.028s 1.473s
13. Cal Crutchlow Honda (RC213V) 1m41.112s 1.557s
14. Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m41.167s 1.612s
15. Stefan Bradl Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m41.178s 1.623s
16. Bradley Smith Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m41.287s 1.732s
17. Loris Baz Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m41.320s 1.765s
18. Alvaro Bautista Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m41.573s 2.018s
19. Michele Pirro Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m41.841s 2.286s
20. Jack Miller Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m41.904s 2.349s
21. Tito Rabat Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m42.230s 2.675s