Marc Marquez might have crashed his Honda during second practice at the Circuit of the Americas on Friday, but that didn't stop the Spaniard from setting the fastest time, finishing the session seven tenths clear of the field.
Twenty minutes into the session, reigning World Champion Jorge Lorenzo was the first rider to break the 2m05s barrier during FP2 with a time of 2m04.966s.
Marquez, who dominated FP1 earlier on the day, responded instantly with a time of 2m04.560s, four tenths faster than his Yamaha-riding Spanish compatriot.
The two-time world champion on the Honda continued at a blistering pace around the Austin, Texas, track and was set to go even faster on his next lap. He was six tenths clear of his previous best, with projected times suggesting he might dip into the 2m03s, but just before the end of the lap he lost his machine's front end and crashed.
After sitting out for 10 minutes, Marquez once again lit up the track upon his return, setting the fastest time of the session, a 2m04.034s, on his second flying lap.
Meanwhile, Andrea Iannone on the Ducati had overtaken Lorenzo as the next best, albeit some 0.706s behind Marquez's pace-setting time.
At the end of the 45-minute session, Maverick Vinales on the Suzuki had moved up to third, ahead of Octo Pramac Yakhnich's Scott Redding in fourth.
The Yamaha pair of Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi had to settle for fifth and sixth, respectively, while Loris Bas was in seventh, more than a second behind the leader.
Dani Pedrosa on the sister Honda was well down on pace from his team-mate and could only finish in eighth place, with Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow rounding out the top 10.
Shortly after the chequered flag was shown, Aleix Espargaro crashed his Suzuki but managed to finish in 14th, while Ducati rider Eugene Laverty, who slid off at Turn 2 earlier in the session, finished 16th.
After being involved in a heavy crash in FP1, Jack Miller's suspected injured right leg continued to hamper him during the second session and he could only finish in 20th, just ahead of his Estrella Galicia team-mate Tito Rabat.
Final Classification after FP2 at the Circuit of the Americas:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 04.034s [Lap 11/14] 341km/h (Top Speed)
2. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 04.740s 0.706s [14/14] 342km/h
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 04.895s 0.861s [10/16] 338km/h
4. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 04.899s 0.865s [13/14] 342km/h
5. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 04.901s 0.867s [12/16] 337km/h
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 04.974s 0.940s [14/16] 340km/h
7. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.190s 1.156s [11/13] 337km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 05.194s 1.160s [11/16] 342km/h
9. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 05.195s 1.161s [9/11] 342km/h
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 05.393s 1.359s [15/15] 337km/h
11. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.488s 1.454s [12/15] 340km/h
12. Michele Pirro ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 05.597s 1.563s [15/15] 340km/h
13. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 05.616s 1.582s [15/15] 338km/h
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 05.662s 1.628s [10/14] 337km/h
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.761s 1.727s [13/14] 340km/h
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.891s 1.857s [13/13] 338km/h
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 05.922s 1.888s [14/14] 337km/h
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 06.157s 2.123s [15/16] 340km/h
19. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 06.479s 2.445s [6/17] 338km/h
20. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m 06.777s 2.743s [8/11] 339km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 2m 07.044s 3.010s [17/17] 336km/h