Aruba Ducati rider Chaz Davies held off Kawasaki duo Jonathan Rea and Tom Sykes to win Race 1 by four seconds in the World Superbike Championship at Motorland Aragon in Spain on Saturday.
Davies was flying from the start, passing team-mate Davide Guigliano and reigning world champion Jonathan Rea on lap two before hunting down and passing Sylvain Guintoli and Sykes.
The win brings Davies to only two points behind Sykes in the championship while Jonathan Rea increased his lead at the top.
— Duca✠Chef (@ducachef) April 2, 2016
Rea started slow but with 10 laps to go to got past third-placed Guintoli before overtaking Sykes with a slipstream move.
Pata Yamaha rider Guintoli ended in ninth place after being near the front and was passed by Xavi Fores, Giugliano and team-mate Alex Lowes as well as Nicky Hayden and Jordi Torres.
Fores ended up fourth and Giugliano and Hayden finished fifth and sixth respectively.
Torres ended seventh and Lowes passed Guintoli with five laps to go and end up in eighth place.
Ioda Aprilia’s Lorenzo Savadori passed team-mate Alex De Angelis for tenth.
Michael van der Mark crashed out on the 13th lap.
Full Race One results at Motorland Aragon, Spain:
1. Chaz Davies – Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R (18 laps)
2. Jonathan Rea – Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 4.168s
3. Tom Sykes – Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 4.948s
4. Xavi Fores – Barni Ducati 1199R 12.723s
5. Davide Giugliano – Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 13.151s
6. Nicky Hayden – Honda Racing CBR1000RR 21.117s
7. Jordi Torres – Althea BMW S1000RR 22.112s
8. Alex Lowes – PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 25.575s
9. Sylvain Guintoli – PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 28.941s
10. Lorenzo Savadori – IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 34.956s
11. Alex de Angelis – IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 35.075s
12. Roman Ramos – GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 37.310s
13. Josh Brookes – Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 37.442s
14. Markus Reiterberger – Althea BMW S1000RR 37.731s
15. Karel Abraham – Milwaukee BMW S1000RR 52.270s
16. Sylvain Barrier – Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 56.295s
17. Matthieu Lussiana – Team ASPI BMW S1000RR 67.602s
18. Dominic Schmitter – Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 95.691s
19. Peter Sebesteyen – Team Toth Yamaha R1 95.746s
20. Imre Toth – Team Toth Yamaha R1 1 lap
21. Saeed al Sulaiti – Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 2 laps
Matteo Baiocco – VFT Ducati 1199R, 13 laps completed
Josh Hook – Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R, 13 laps completed
Leon Camier – MV Agusta RC F4 RR, 8 laps completed
Michael van der Mark – Honda Racing CBR1000RR, 3 laps completed