Days after stating that he was certain Monza would remain on the calendar, Bernie Ecclestone now says F1 does not need an Italian Grand Prix.
There has been a lot of speculation about Monza’s future in Formula 1 as the circuit’s current deal to host the Italian GP expires at the end of this season.
According to reports, both Imola and Mugello are keen to replace the historic venue should Monza officials fail to agree on a new deal with Ecclestone’s FOM.
However last week it appeared as if it was only a matter of time before a new contract would be signed.
“I think it [Monza] will continue to hold a grand prix,” Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport. “It’s a discussion amongst men and we are still talking.
“In the end, we will reach a conclusion, I am certain.”
Days later, though, the F1 supremo is singing a different tune.
— Motorsport.com (@Motorsport) March 24, 2016
“Monza has got a contract for this year so it is going to go ahead. Next year is the question mark,” the 85-year-old told the Mail on Sunday.
“I don’t think we have to have an Italian Grand Prix.
“Somebody once told me a funny thing that you couldn’t have Formula 1 without a race in France. But we do.”