Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo posted the fastest time during Friday's second practice session for this weekend's Malaysia MotoGP at Sepang.
Dani Pedrosa dominated Friday's first session and the Honda rider continued to set the pace for most of FP2, becoming the first rider to break the 2m01s mark when he eclipsed team-mate Marc Marquez's best time with a 2m00.835s early on in the session.
With five minutes left in the 45-minute session, most of the riders were on track once more and Lorenzo proceeded to set the fastest time of the weekend so far – a 2m00.246s – to move to the top of the timesheets.
On his next hot lap, Pedrosa bettered his previous fastest by half a second with a time of 2m00.369s, and proceeded to set the best times of the weekend in the first three sectors of his next lap. However, some lost time in the final sector saw him finish just short of Lorenzo, finishing 0.047s behind his Spanish compatriot.
Marquez also bettered his early time and finished in third place with a 2m00.472s, while Ducati's Andrea Iannone was in fourth, having crashed at Turn 8 early in the session before returning to the track on his number two bike. Iannone's time of 2m 00.486s was good enough for second early on, before he was bettered by the Hondas of Pedrosa and Marquez.
The Castrol-liveried LCR Honda of Cal Crutchlow was in fifth thanks to significant improvements late in the sessions, while Aleix Espargaro on the Suzuki and Andrea Dovizioso on the second Ducati finished sixth and seventh respectively.
Valentino Rossi, who leads Lorenzo by 11 points on the standings with two races left on the calendar, had a disappointing session on the long, winding turns of Sepang. The Italian's best time of 2m01.305s came on hard rear and front tyres midway through the session, somewhat surprisingly since the medium tyre was the prefered option for most riders on the grid.
The top 10 was rounded out by Pramac Ducati's Danilo Petrucci and Scott Redding on the Marc VDS Honda.
Final Classification after Friday's second practice session at Sepang
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 00.246s [Lap 12/15] 326km/h (Top Speed)
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 00.293s 0.047s [17/18] 330km/h
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 00.472s 0.226s [13/16] 332km/h
4. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 00.486s 0.240s [13/14] 335km/h
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 01.039s 0.793s [13/15] 330km/h
6. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 01.058s 0.812s [15/15] 321km/h
7. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 01.127s 0.881s [13/14] 333km/h
8. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 01.305s 1.059s [9/16] 327km/h
9. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 01.598s 1.352s [14/15] 324km/h
10. Scott Redding GBR Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m 01.607s 1.361s [13/14] 326km/h
11. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 2m 01.796s 1.550s [3/15] 325km/h
12. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 2m 01.796s 1.550s [12/13] 323km/h
13. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 01.850s 1.604s [16/16] 324km/h
14. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 02.101s 1.855s [7/19] 326km/h
15. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 02.118s 1.872s [14/16] 320km/h
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS)* 2m 02.426s 2.180s [15/17] 322km/h
17. Nicky Hayden USA Aspar MotoGP Team (RC213V-RS) 2m 02.427s 2.181s [13/16] 318km/h
18. Yonny Hernandez COL Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 02.554s 2.308s [11/13] 327km/h
19. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 02.626s 2.380s [13/16] 320km/h
20. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 2m 03.480s 3.234s [15/16] 320km/h
21. Jack Miller AUS LCR Honda (RC213V-RS)* 2m 03.485s 3.239s [15/15] 321km/h
22. Toni Elias SPA Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 2m 03.710s 3.464s [14/15] 321km/h
23. Loris Baz FRA Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha)* 2m 03.731s 3.485s [12/15] 315km/h
24. Anthony West AUS AB Motoracing (RC213V-RS) 2m 04.892s 4.646s [2/15] 316km/h
25. Damian Cudlin AUS E-Motion IodaRacing (ART) 2m 06.962s 6.716s [2/4] 302km/h