The third and final day of official MotoGP testing at Sepang took place on Wednesday, with Jorge Lorenzo topping the time sheets.
Testing was scheduled to take place between 10am and 6pm on Wednesday but a wet track prevented riders from any activity in the morning. A rain shower just before lunch provided further frustration. However, by 4pm the weather had cleared and the track had dried.
Eager to make the most of the opportunity to build relationships with their bikes ahead of the upcoming season, the riders were busy in the final two hours of the day.
Reigning world champion Lorenzo finished the test as he had started it. He was on top of the timesheets by almost a full second. He also successfully broke the two-minute barrier on Wednesday.
Valentino Rossi finished second on the timesheet with his quickest lap being his 13th out of 38 as he went round in two minutes and 0.556 seconds while Marc Marquez occupied third after his second last lap of the day returned a time of two minutes and 0.883 seconds.
Previously retired double world champion Casey Stoner, who rode alongside the MotoGP race riders for the first time since 2012 on Tuesday, was also back on the track on Wednesday.
The Australian wasted no time in getting back up to top speed as he stormed into second place on just his fourth lap. That remained Stoner’s best time until he improved on his 30th and final lap. He finished fifth on the timesheet and was Ducati’s top rider for the three days.
The second of the three official pre-season tests will be held at Phillip Island in Australia from the 17th of February to the 19th of February. Ducati say that Stoner will not ride at his home test.
Sepang will now be resurfaced, meaning this week’s data is only of limited relevance in terms of October’s race.
The entire timesheet from Wednesday can be seen below.
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 59.580s [34/36]
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 0.556s +0.976s [13/38]
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 0.883s 1.303s [44/45]
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 0.992s 1.412s [40/42]
5. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Test Rider (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.070s 1.490s [30/30]
6. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 1.161s 1.581s [35/48]
7. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.217s 1.637s [15/18]
8. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15/16) 2m 1.223s 1.643s [17/38]
9. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.229s 1.649s [40/42]
10. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 1.244s 1.664s [49/51]
11. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 1.434s 1.854s [11/30]
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 1.623s 2.043s [7/44]
13. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15/16) 2m 1.675s 2.095s [18/34]
14. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 1.774s 2.194s [20/40]
15. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.870s 2.290s [26/44]
16. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.918s 2.338s [49/65]
17. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 2.541s 2.961s [14/33]
18. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 2.792s 3.212s [8/44]
19. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 2.940s 3.360s [10/27]
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 2m 3.012s 3.432s [49/57]
21. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 3.183s 3.603s [16/46]
22. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 3.519s 3.939s [16/25]