Repsol Honda rider Marc Marquez was the fastest on the first day of post-season testing in Valencia despite crashing early on.
Marquez, who was one of many riders using the new Michelin tyres, crashed at Turn 3 on his fourth lap, but bounced back to record a time of 1:31.551 on his 10th lap after Cal Crutchlow had set the early pace. Crutchlow, who crashed at Turn 5, finished with the sixth-fastest time.
Andrea Iannone posted the second-quickest time and was just 0.088 seconds behind Marquez even though he too came off his bike at Turn 3.
Marquez’s team-mate Dani Pedrosa was third with a time of 1:31.681, while Maverick Vinales and reigning MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo rounded out the top five.
Pol and Aleix Espargaro also crashed during the session, but managed to record the seventh and ninth-fastest times respectively.
Valentino Rossi, who was beaten to the MotoGP title on Sunday by his Movistar Yamaha team-mate Lorenzo, finished with the 12th best time and was 0.850s behind Marquez.
Day One Testing Times
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1:31.551 (Lap 10/47)
2. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1:31.639 0.088s (30/61)
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1:31.681 0.130s (11/49)
4. Maverick Vinales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1:31.720 0.169s (36/59)
5. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1:31.767 0.216s (32/41)
6. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1:31.911 0.360s (8/54)
7. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1:31.937 0.386s (10/40)
8. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1:31.997 0.446s (32/67)
9. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1:32.005 0.454s (36/47)
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1:32.073 0.522s (57/66)
11. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 1:32.214 0.663s (30/52)
12. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1:32.401 0.850s (45/57)
13. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 1:32.442 0.891s (46/47)
14. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1:32.468 0.917s (35/38)
15. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1:32.594 1.043s (33/47)
16. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1:32.673 1.122s (82/84)
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1:32.721 1.170s (34/46)
18. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1:32.943 1.392s (52/53)
19. Yonny Hernandez COL Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1:33.046 1.495s (31/57)
20. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1:33.0611 1.510s (66/66)
21. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1:33.253 1.702s (39/46)
22. Takuya Tsuda JPN Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR) 1:34.591 3.040s (54/55)
23. Nobuatsu Aoki JPN Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR) 1:36.338 4.787s (12/24)