Woods to miss the Open

Tiger Woods has confirmed that he will not take part in this year's Open Championship.

The former world number, who has been out of action for 10 months following two back surgeries, officially withdrew from the year's third major on Friday in a move that came as no surprise.

Speaking last week ahead of the Quicken Loans National, Woods said that he could not pinpoint a return date, and insisted that he would not rush back into action.

“I’m just playing it week to week and I keep getting better. I just hope that everything clicks in and I can do it sooner rather than later,” said the 14-time major winner.

“I’m excited about what’s transpired so far. It’s about trying to recover for the next day. I still need to get in golf shape.

“It’s about four, five days in a row. It’s about me playing 36 holes daily, getting up to speed and playing.

“I just need to get to where strength-wise I can handle the workload of playing out here on a weekly basis, practicing after a round, not having to go ice my back. I’m trying to get there as fast as I can, but I’m trying to do it right.

“As you know, I’ve pushed through a lot of injuries and rehabs before. I’m trying to do it correctly this time.”

Woods has been replaced by Marcus Fraser of Australia, while former world number one Luke Donald is now first on the reserve list.

Comments