Brighton edge Watford thanks to Gross strike

Brighton Watford

Brighton & Hove Albion were well worth their 1-0 win over Watford, with Simon Gross making the breakthrough in Saturday’s Premier League clash.

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 Watford 0
Gross with second-half opener

Match Summary

The Seagulls were the better side throughout the encounter, in which both sides offered plenty of endeavour but not too much precision. It took until the second half for the goal to arrive, with Simon Gross producing a moment of quality to find the back of the net.

Full Report

Most of the first half was all Albion, with the Seagulls dominating possession and creating all the opportunities. The Hornets, meanwhile, were limited to clearing their lines and looking to maybe find something on the counterattack. Albion, for all their endeavour, weren’t able to carve out any clear-cut chances.

get Albion’s Israeli striker Tomer Hemed had an appeal to the referee late in the first half when chasing a long ball forward from Solomon March, and went down under contact with Christian Kabasele but was not given the free kick he thought he merited.

A move from Albion early in the second half epitomised their match in the first period, with Hemed doing well to work some space on the left side of the box, but when the time came to go for goal he lifted his shot well off target.

The Hornets had offered little in attack, but could have broken the deadlock in the 55th minute when Richarlison exchanged passes with a teammate, arriving in the box to get the return and try to beat goalkeeper Matthew Ryan at his near post. A few minutes later and Pascal Gross blasted narrowly wide from long range.

The breakthrough seemed like it was coming, and arrived in the 64th minute via Gross. Albion were able to turn over possession in midfield and set the German free. With defenders around him as he entered the box, Gross cut back into a bit of space on the edge of the box and looked to curl one past Heurelho Gomes in goal, who should have done something more about the shot.

The Seagulls could and should have doubled their lead in the 72nd minute after March got clear down the left and slid a low cross into the box towards Hemed, who was able to take a touch, pivot, and fire wide.

The Hornets mustered a couple of late chances, with Kabasele heading over the top following a good free kick from Cleverley, before another cross from Holebas created a chance for Richarlison, but he could only glance it wide.