Huddersfield run Watford ragged


Huddersfield Town were lethal against Watford as they powered to a 4-1 victory in their Premier League clash at Vicarage Road.

Watford 1 Huddersfield Town 4
Kachunga with early opener
Mooy scrapes home the second
Depoitre fires in the third
Doucoure pulls one back
Mooy penalty wraps it up

Match Summary

The Terriers were in a destructive mood as Elias Kachunga, Laurent Depoitre, and Aaron Mooy, with a brace, all found the net.

Abdoulaye Doucoure pulled one back for the Hornets with a delicious volley, but they conceded a late penalty to curdle any hopes of a comeback.

Full Report

The Terriers took the lead in the sixth minute through a scramble in the box in which the ball fell to Collin Quaner to strike goalwards, and Kachunga was able to get the final touch to take it over the line from point-blank range.

Huddersfield made it two in the 23rd minute through Mooy, who arrived at the far post to meet a cross from Collin Quaner and bundle it home from close range with his thigh.

Things got even tougher for the Hornets in the 33rd minute when Troy Deeney lunged at Quaner from behind, earning himself a straight red card from referee Michael Oliver for their third sending off in as many games.

It was three to the Terriers five minutes into the second half when Hornets defender Jose Holebas lost his footing in his own box when he needed to clear. Quaner latched onto the ball and picked out the on-rushing Laurent Depoitre to sweep it past Gomes.

Jonathan Hogg evened out the match in the 62nd minute by earning his second yellow card for a late challenge on Richarlison, making it 11 against 11 for the final half hour.

Reinvigorated, Watford pulled a goal back eight minutes later thanks to a stunning volley from the edge of the box by Doucoure, sending the ball whistling into the bottom corner.

Andre Gray should have pulled another back in the 75th minute after being set up by fellow substitute Roberto Pereyra.

But the Terriers killed the game off – if it wasn’t dead already – in the 90th minute when Doucoure lunged at Depoitre while he was moving away from goal on the side of the box. Mooy took the resulting penalty and fired it past Gomes.

There could have even been a fifth, but Doucoure was able to clear Quaner’s shot off the line with Gomes beaten.